Individuals who want to become an Australian Citizen need to meet some requirements. The requirements may vary depending on the applicant. However, most individuals have general requirements and eligibility criteria to become Australian Citizenship. Some of the common Australian Citizenship Requirements for most of the applicants include the following:
- An applicant need to be a permanent resident at the application time and at the time of decision
- An individual need to meet up the requirements of the residence
- An applicant must have a good character and goof conduct
- A person who want to apply for the Australian Citizenship needs to have a requirement of basic knowledge of the language English
- An applicant who has applied for the Australian Citizenship must intent to maintain or reside a close and continuing contact or association with Australia
- An individual must have an adequate and good knowledge of the privileges and responsibilities of Australian citizenship
- If the applicant is over 60 years of age or 60 years then he or she is not required to give the Australian Citizenship Test
General residence requirement:
The requirement of the general residence is based on that amount of time which an applicant has lived in Australia. One needs to meet all the below mentioned requirements:
- An applicant must have lived on the valid Australian visa in Australia for 4 years immediately before he or she applies for the Australian Citizenship
- An applicant must have been the permanent resident for about a year immediately before he or she makes an application. They must not have been unavailable or absent from Australia more than a year in total, mainly during a period of those 4 years, including not more than 3 months in a year before applying for the Australian citizenship.
Under some circumstances one may be eligible for applying for a variation to the requirement of residence or may be eligible under the requirement of special residence.
Calculate the permanent residency:
An individual who has been granted with a permanent resident visa even before he or she has arrived in the country Australia, then the date of permanent residence is the date which you have arrived in the country Australia on that permanent Australian resident visa.
If an individual who has been granted the permanent resident visa just after they have arrived in the country Austral, then the permanent residence date would be that date on which the Australia Citizenship visa was granted.
One can also make utilize of the Residence Requirement Calculator in order to determine if she or he can meet the requirements of permanent residence to become Australian Citizen.
One can also include kids under the age group of 16 years in the application of the Australian Citizenship if they are the permanent residents.
Kids under the age group of 16 years may not require to meet the requirements of residence.
One can also check for more detailed information which is available about kids who are of age group 16 and 17.
Australian Citizenship Eligibility:
Individuals who want to get the citizenship of Australia, depending on the situation, there is a basic criteria which one may require to fulfill. These include being a resident in Australia for a certain period of time. One must at first determine whether he or she meets the requirements or eligibility criteria just before starting the application. Read on to choose the situation which suits you.
- Permanent Resident of Australia or Migrant with Permanent Residency
- Partner or spouse of an Australian citizen
- Citizen of New Zealand living in Australia
- Migrant with permanent residency or Permanent Resident of Australia: Individuals who have a permanent residence visa along with the residential requirements eligibility, then they may already be through the half way process to become a citizen of Australia and gain valuable profits.
- Being a Permanent Resident of Australia: One need to hold a visa that is valid and it allows him or her to reside in the country Australia indefinitely. Generally, this is called the Permanent Residence Visa. In case if any applicant is not sure whether their current visa qualifies the Australian citizenship, then they can simply use the Australian Citizenship Visa Guide or the official Visa Wizard from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. All one need is the Visa Subclass number which one can find online at the Entitlement Verification Online Services website or in their passport.
- Satisfying the residence requirement: An individual need to fulfill the residence requirement which is based on that time that one has lived in the country Australia and the time that one has spent outside the country Australia in that last four years. One needs to be eligible to apply for the Australian Citizenship and they must fulfill the following criteria:
- One must have been residing in Australia for 4 years on a valid visa of Australia immediately before applying.
- One must have been residing in Australia for about a year as a permanent resident
- One must not have been unavailable from Australia for over 12 months in total
- One must not have been absent from the country Australia over more than 3 months in a year before applying for the Australian citizenship
If an individual has been granted with a migrant visa offshore, then the permanent residency will be valid from that time onwards when he or she has arrived in Australia on that visa. If an individual has been granted with the permanent residence visa on onshore then the permanent residency will be valid from that time when the visa was issued.
- Partner or Spouse of an Australian citizen: As a partner, wife or spouse of an Australian citizen one needs to be required to pass through the similar process of becoming an Australian citizen. However, there is an advantageous variation for partners and spouses in terms of residential requirements.
- Being a Permanent Resident of Australia
- Satisfying the Residence Requirement
- Citizen of New Zealand living in Australia: An individual who being a citizen of New Zealand and living in Australia already, then their eligibility of an Australian citizenship depends on either they have arrived in the country before 26/02/2001 or they are a permanent resident of Australia.
- Being a Permanent Resident of Australia
- Holding a SCV (Special Category Visa) and arrived in the country Australia before 26/02/2001
- Having a Centre link Certificate that is issued earlier to 26/02/2004