Individuals who like to apply for the Australian Citizenship by Descent must have been from other country meaning born outside Australia. He or she needs to have at least one of the parents been an Australian Citizen when he or she was born. You need to check for your eligibility, documents, apply for the Australian Citizenship, Citizenship document and fees.
Eligibility: The applicant eligibility must be that they have born outside the Australian Country and have at least one of the parents been an Australian Citizen when he or she was born. If you were born outside the Australian country on or after 26th January 1949. If the applicants’ Australian Citizen Parent became the citizen of Australia by adoption or by descent under a bilateral arrangement or The Hague Convention, then that parent need to have spent at least 2 years lawfully within Australia (expect for the Stateless applicants). If the applicant for the Australian Citizenship by descent is under sixteen years of age, then the application form must be signed by the responsible parent.
Documents: Individuals who are willing to apply for the Australian Citizenship need to have identity documents and supporting documents. It will be evidence that one of the parents was the citizen of Australian Country at the time of their birth. It also includes good character documents for the applicant who is 18 years of age or above.
- The applicant need to submit 3 documents all together which show the applicants date of birth, birth name and gender. It should also include photograph and current residential address. If the applicant age is 18 years and above, then he or she needs to show his or her signature.
- In case, if the applicant requires any change in name, then he or she needs to provide official evidence that includes links between names.
- The applicant needs to submit a complete identity declaration signed by a member with relevant authority. For online applications, you need to submit a separate paper form that is Form 1195 – Identity Declaration (236KB PDF).
- Children Under six years of age: Kids under 6 years of age who do not have 3 documents can provide their passport and birth certificate if available. For the identification document declaration, if no citizen of Australia has know the kid for at least 1 year, then the declaration could be signed by a citizen who have a profession on the designated occupations list who has know the kid for less than a year.
- The applicant needs to submit the documents that are relevant in support of the application form. These include
- Australian passport
- Naturalization certificate or Australian citizenship certificate
- Full Australian certificate of birth
- If the parent’s of the Australian Citizen parent was the citizen by adoption or by descent under a bilateral arrangement or Hague Convention, then evidence that the parent has lived in the Australian country for 2 years such as
- Any document that is issued by the Government Agency of Australia
- Employment records
- School records
- An evidence of other nation citizenships held by Australian citizen parent like a certificate or letter showing the date they receive the other citizenship, in case if applicable.
- Child under sixteen years of age: Individuals who are the responsible parent and applying the Australian Citizenship Application by descent for a kid who is under sixteen years of age need to show the following:
- Documents which together show photograph, signature and current residential address – credit card bill, utilities bill or a passport driver license.
- Any orders related to the parental, custody or guardianship responsibility for this child, if it applies.
- Surrogacy Arrangements: You need to provide a surrogacy contract which is signed by all the members and some other evidence that is related to the surrogacy arrangement. You may also need to go for a DNA test. The applicants’ responsible must be consent to the citizenship application by descent.
Good Character Documents: If the applicant is eighteen years of age or above, then he or she needs to provide the penal clearance certificates of outside Australia, from the last 10 years which includes:
- You travelled or lived outside Australia since 18 years of age
- The total time that is spent outside the Australian Country added up to one year or more
- The time that is spent in other country was more than 3 months
You need to provide the penal clearance certificate from other countries that you have spent more than 90 days.
Applicant may also need to submit the penal clearance certificate in case if asked for it.
You need to send original certificates of penal clearance certificates not the certified copies.
Documents must be translated in English: All the documents that an applicant submits with the Australian Citizenship Application must be in English, in case they are in other language they need to be translated in English.
- An applicant can use the translator accredited by National Accreditation Authority of Translators and interpreters, if he or she is in Australia.
- Individuals who are applying the Citizenship by descent and residing outside the Australian country can contact Australian mission within the country which has issued the certificates for advice on the translators.
- You need to include both the documents the original one (which is not in the English language) and the translation with your application.
Apply: A person who is applying for the Australian Citizenship by descent on paper form or online need to pay the fees. Individuals who are lodging a through paper application need to complete the Form 118 – Application for Australian Citizenship by descent (390KB PDF). You must not post the original documents. Certified copies of the original documents must be attached to the application.
- If the applicant is in Australia, then he or she can submit the application to the address mentioned on the form through post.
- If the applicant is outside Australia, then they can go to the nearest Immigration office of Australian Country and submit his or her application.
- In case if the applicant or the applicant’s Australian Citizen parent was born before 16th September 1975 in Papua New Guinea, then they can send their application to the following address:
Overseas Citizenship Unit
Department of Immigration and Border Protection
GPO Box 717
Canberra ACT 2601
Citizenship Document: Once your Australian Citizenship Application by descent is approved, they will send the extract document to your address provided on the application form.
Fees: Australian Citizenship Application by descent fee is AUS 230. Those applications for next and subsequent siblings applying for the Citizenship by descent at the same time have to pay AUS 95 fee.